Monday, June 13, 2011

All Summer Long...

Summer is synonymous with grilling.
Early in our marriage, when David and I would  have people over for a BBQ, we'd plan the menu together, but then I found the recipes, went to the grocery store, cut, prepared, rubbed and marinated all the food. Then, David would grill it. As we sat with friends, our guests would pour the accolades on David, praising him for his grilling prowess. He would sit there and ever so humbly thank them for the compliments. Finally, after having enough of this on one particular summer night, in the middle of his shower of praises, I added, "Yes, David this chicken is so TASTY! What is in this marinade?" From then on, he made sure to let everyone know it was a joint effort (although in my mind it was more like 75/25 in my favor...how hard can it be to throw some meat on the grill and drink a beer while you wait for it to cook?)
Having said that, it wasn't until the first time I tried to cook chicken on the grill I realized how really tricky and scientific the entire process is so that the meat is somewhere between salmonella infested and carbon...and David is REALLY GOOD at it. I somehow manage to get both carbon and salmonella together in one bite. I now agree BBQing at our house is a 50/50 joint venture.
So, yesterday afternoon we had Ina Garten's Maple Roasted Butternut Squash (with roasted garlic you squeeze onto a piece of bread!!!) and BBQ'd ribs (not the saucy kind, but the dry rubbed type) and it was TASTY! Fall off the bone tasty...

2 comments:

  1. Now, that is the ticket linked recipes!!! Amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I received a question via text asking how long and what temp David cooked ribs on his gas grill. Here is his answer:
    2-3 hours at 250. Turn on three burners (left, right and center). Put ribs in foil and on top rack.

    ReplyDelete