Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I Like My Chicken Fried

"Cold beer on a Friday night..."

What many people don't know about David is he is a white boy trapped inside of a dark boy. He has some roots in North Carolina, where many aunts, uncles and cousins still live. When looking at David one would never guess that he is third cousins with Ernest from the Ernest movies (true story).
So, imagine his delight when we walk into Brother Jimmy's BBQ and it's all things North Carolina-they even serve his favorite soda/childhood memory called "Cheerwine." Of course I was thrilled too because as a Paula Deen fan, I'm a fried chicken connoisseur.

As the evening progressed, David enlightened me on the topic of North Carolina BBQ. It is only BBQ if it's pork. BBQ is not throwing something on the grill, but rather it is slow cooking. And NC BBQ sauce is a red vinegar like sauce...thin, not thick.. Much like the coleslaw, which is not really sweet, but red and tangy.
We ordered hush puppies, BBQ (pulled pork), fried chicken, fried brussel sprouts, collard greens and corn brea. And did I mention kids eat free? They devoured their chicken and Mac n cheese. Pictured below is the last teaspoon of Mac n cheese a generous Jorja offered me.

Long live the confederation!

No comments:

Post a Comment