Saturday, November 5, 2011

Don't Leave Me High and Dry

Flying makes me anxious.
I don't have a fear of flying, though. I pride myself in being a person who relies on logic and statistics; driving to the airport is more dangerous than flying in a plane.
My anxiety comes from the fear of hunger and/or boredom. The hunger part I can control with snacks and the airport Wolfgang Puck's. It's the possibility of being bored for more than an hour that throws me into panic mode. What if I don't feel like reading any one of the three books I brought? What if the movie is one I don't like? Or worse yet, what if they don't show one at all!?!?
Therefore, my MO when flying has become a Benadryl and $7 mini bottle of wine and then it's la la land. But this time I'm flying with my kids and that's just not the responsible thing to do. So, during the first, one hour flight I snacked and shopped in the Skymall Catalog. I love shopping by mail!
I can picture my six year old son and I wearing the elbow/puppet shirts to family gatherings, Back to School Night, talent show, etc.
The riding contraptions because I need a new bike and I like to ride incognito in my small town.
The hair dye pill of happiness will make a great silver wedding anniversary gift.
The marshmallow shooter is for my three year old daughter because every girl should know how to defend herself.
The visor that comes with its own spiked hair is for my dad because dreams are free. Or, in this case, dreams are $19.99.
The Sumu "end" table is a housewarming gift for my brother (who would have bought it himself had he seen it first) and sister in law because...well, my brother would have found it eventually.
The clever sleeping pillow is for me because it is SO EMBARASSING to wake up from a nap on a plane and realize people saw me with my mouth wide open. That was the first flight.
The zombie in the garden is for a serenity garden we're working on in our backyard.
The "Litter Kwitter" for my cat loving friends because what you don't know is it IS gross to have a litter box in your house.
The "Slanket Siamese" for two is a potential wedding gift.
The orbit shoes would make a great gift for David-how fun to watch a 6'3" man fall wearing these bad boys!

Second flight...several hours long and the film is "Return to the Planet of the Apes." Can't get into my books and completed what I could of the crossword puzzle before take-off. So, I've decided to order the micro-wine. Although my kids need supervision and it's before noon, it's ok: I'm Portuguese (Please refer to my creed of logic and statistics listed above).

No comments:

Post a Comment