Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Empire State of Mind

"Yeah, yeah I'm upa at Brooklyn, now I'm down at TriBeCa...and since I made it here I can make it anywhere..."

About 17 years ago, I was traveling with a friend to a hair show in Woodland Hills, near L.A. On the way back, she was telling me her life story and I was completely engrossed in it while I drove us home to Visalia. A couple hours later, still listening, I looked out the window and thought to myself, the trees blowing in the ocean wind are so beautiful. Then I thought to myself, there was no ocean on the Grapevine on the way down! Come to find out we were in Santa Barbara-on the coast.
Today I had a similar feeling as we (just me and the kids-David working) rode the subway to Central Park Zoo and I looked out the window and admired the stoic Brooklyn Bridge and the large body of water, as I thought to myself: there is no large body of water on the way to Central Park, nor is there a Brooklyn Bridge. So, instead of the Upper East Side we ended up in Brooklyn. I am not above asking for help, but every single person on the train was Chinese, Korean or asleep. (As a matter of fact, I'm 70% certain I saw Vera Wang and Sean Lennon on the subway.) Thank you iPhone for mapping us back on track.
We ended up having great weather and a fun filled day in Central Park. We also managed to visit the "Plaza" and find our new digs in the city (NOT the Plaza). Mommy rules!

No comments:

Post a Comment